Thursday, April 29, 2010

KIDS OWNING THEIR OWN BUSINESS

When I was a kid, I lived in the city. In the city, everyone had a ‘hustle’ or something they did other than a real job to make money. Even as a kid, I owned my own business. I’d use my allowance money to buy all the candy the kids at school liked, then I’d sell the candy for a higher price at school. I had a distribution service – my three cousins who went to school with me. I had security – my two cousins who were in the 7th and 8th grades, and I had payoffs – the teacher’s that I gave candy to in order to keep them quiet. I ran the operation for about two years before a new principle came to town and shut me and the other school pan-handlers away.

Fast forward to the present, I’m teaching my kids how to get their ‘hustle’ on. Start businesses. Why? Because in any career you may choose to go into – you always have to sell something. You have to sell yourself to get a job, sell a book, a skill you have or the love of your life on why to marry you.

My son followed in his dear old mom’s footsteps. He sold candy at school also – but got shut down by the powers that be (his teachers – lol!). Then he mowed lawns, cleaned garages, painted and worked for his dad’s real estate company to make his own money.

HOW HAS MY BUSINESS BEGINNINGS HELPED

Now as an adult, I know there is not much I can’t accomplish if I put my mind to it. Starting businesses at a young age gives you the confidence to take risk, to think outside the box, not take ‘No’ for an answer, and to pave your own way when doors close. Who would have known that starting that entrepreneur spirit as a kid would lead me into writing. Selling myself as an author is just the beginning – I’ve got a lot more adventures to tackle and being able to get my ‘hustle’ on has allowed me to multi-task my goals and accomplishment.

So kids – start now! Figure out a business; work at honing that spirit and you’ll accomplish more than you ever dreamed possible.

No comments: