Tuesday, May 31, 2011

RULES FOR THE 3rd WHEEL DATING FRIEND



You’ve all been there. As a teenager and an adult. The 3rd Wheel. The friend that accompanies another friend on a date as a chaperone, companion, bail excuse, lookout, body guard and whatever. I played my fair share of 3rd wheel and had friends do the same for me. This came up this weekend with my teens who are dating. One is going on her first 3rd wheel mission so I gave her the tips below :-D

Here’s some rules and tips.

BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR THESE SIGNALS

- Your friend hinting that you should go get popcorn or go to the bathroom or jerking her head to the side means, “I like him – get lost”
- Your friend’s boyfriend winking at you over her shoulder means, “I’m a scumbag who’s trying to have my cake and eat it too.”
- Your friend tugs on your shirt and tell you it’s time for a lady’s room break means, “I have to come up with a plan to ditch this bozo.”


DON’Ts FOR THE 3rd Wheel

- Don’t ever fall for your friend’s boyfriend
- Don’t be clingy – be seen and not heard, remember it’s not your date it’s her’s
- Don’t ever stay alone with the said date/boyfriend – this could backfire and friend may become jealous and think you have eyes for her guy.
- Don’t gobble up your friend’s time/conversation – you could be drowning out her date and tick him off and make her lose a good opportunity to meet someone nice
- Don’t make googoo eyes at your friend’s guy no matter how hot he is.

DOs FOR THE 3rd Wheel

- Do talk to your friend before the date to ask her what the signals are (signals to ‘let’s ditch dude’, ‘I’m having a great time – get lost 3rd wheel’, ‘He’s okay, but I’m not going to do another date with him’, ‘He’s a scum who wants us both, lets ditch him instead’)
- Do let her know that you won’t try to impose on her date by talking girl stuff the entire time, so she doesn’t have to feel like she has to entertain both the 3rd wheel and her guy
- Do let her know that you are there for her and all she has to do is let you know what she needs.

SHOULD YOU BE A 3rd Wheel

Well my kid asked me if she should even do this. I told her yes – sometimes, but don’t make it a habit. It’s nice to be able to see what goes on a date without being a participant. And besides, you may need that same friend to 3rd wheel for you.

HAVE YOU BEEN A 3rd Wheel? IF so do you have tips?

6 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I'm sure I have been the third wheel, I'm just having trouble remembering. Maybe I repressed the memory? LOL

Crazy Life of a Writing Mom said...

I've been a third wheel--no fun LOL! I loved reading this though. Your tips are awesome ;)

ecwrites.com

Author Dawn Brazil said...

LOL, I've never seen tips for the third wheeler before. I've been one a couple times too. Not recently as all my good friends are married now. But I'm sure my kids will need these soon. Thanks LM.

Shreyonti said...

I am always the 3rd wheel and I hate it because my friends later accuse me of not being social enough. They don't understand that I am not a very social person to begin with and dates aren't my thing.

Stacey Donaldson said...

I've been the third wheel a time or two, especially when I was a kid (tagging along with my older sister). Of course I couldn't really appreciate the experience at the time, but I always thought it was cool when her dates paid for my movie too! LOL

Following from Book Blogs, this was a great post!

vivian said...

Haha oh my gosh, have I ever! One of my best friends isn't allowed to date, so she "uses" me (and other friends) as an excuse to hang out, so I'm forced to spend time with her and her boyfriend a lot. They've been dating for two years now, and it still happens...but at least I'm not attracted to the boyfriend at all :P

I think another tip would just be to make the most of the situation. Even if it's not you're idea of a great time, you might as well enjoy going out and spending time with a friend--and her boyfriend.