Friday, May 6, 2011

THOR Movie Review



IMDb BLURB:
The powerful but arrogant warrior Thor is cast out of the fantastic realm of Asgard and sent to live amongst humans on Earth, where he soon becomes one of their finest defenders.

MY REVIEW:
I’m a sucker for a Greek hero based on Greek Mythology. This movie is a retelling of such. It also (as my husband the comic book geek pointed out) is rather different from the comic depiction of Thor. The comic book depiction of Thor was a feeble man who had a cane and when he tapped the cane it turned into his hammer. Well as the movie goes I have to say I fell more in love with the villain Loki than I did with Thor. Mainly it was because they didn’t really spend much time developing Thor’s character or his journey as a pompous hot head to a true hero. Not to mention his brief romance left no spark. With all of that said, I still enjoyed the movie. It had great special effects. Let’s face it the guy that played Thor was gorgeous, and the fight scenes were interesting. But to me, Loki’s character stole the show. I give this 3 out of 5 thunderbolts.

MOVIE TIP: If you go – stay til after the trailer for a teaser for the Avengers movie.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

I keep having to remind myself that they've done it after the comics, not the actual Nordic mythology. I'm such a freaking Norse dork it hurts. I'm supposed to be going to see it soon, so thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

Good to hear it was solid. I'm definitely going to watch this weekend!

EJ

Catherine Stine said...

I'm often more captivated by the villain!
Have you seen Conan's parodies of Thor? They are sooo funny!

Beth said...

My husband is so pumped to see this movie we're going to movies two nights in a row this week, because today is my turn.
bethfred.com

LM Preston said...

My DH had me going to the 12am showing - don't even get me started on how excited he was, lol!

Kelly Hashway said...

Sometimes I think they try to make us fall for the villain. Or maybe we all just love the bad boys?

LM Preston said...

Well in this case the he wasn't physically more attractive than Thor, but they developed his deceit better I think. Probably as a set up to the next movie.

Watch Thor the movie said...

i must admit i'm not a comic-buff but my best friend is and he said it was an incredible movie, one of the best made in the comic movie area so i'm definitely gonna watch this one!

Author Dawn Brazil said...

Ha, funny you're reviewing this movie today. I invited you to a sleepover at my blog and I said we could talk about this movie. I haven't seen it yet but I can't wait to go see it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Hubby and I enjoyed it. I agree that Loki was interesting perhaps because we got into him a bit more than with Thor. But the action was fun, and there were some funny scenes. I loved the refernce to Iron Man.