Thursday, December 1, 2011

Are Authors With Large Pubs the Only Ones with Movie Ops?

Mid Atlantic Book Publishers will be chatting tonight (use #MBPA to follow chat - Thur. 12/1/2011 at 9pm EST)on this topic.

When you write your book do you see STARS? Dream of that movie deal?


One of the main reasons I would love to be with a large pub is to get a movie option for one of my books.

Of course, that is every writer's dream. But is it possible to do as an Indie Press, Self Published Author or Small Press?

I believe ... anything is possible if you know the roads traveled.

But statistics say - only a small percent of Small Press and Indie has achieved this.

HOW DOES A SMALL PRESS GO ABOUT THIS?

If one can land a Publishing Entertainment Attorney that does this, has contacts and is on bored with shopping the manuscript turned script to possible clients. This is best done before the book comes out. But if it happens after then that's awesome also.

Movie Options can garner a small press or large press from $500-Millions of dollars.

And I know an Indie Author that worked hard at getting the word out about her non-fiction book about serial killers and garnered her Movie Option on her own. So yes people - it can happen.

WHAT TO SELL:

Screenplay writes, Novelization writes, Sequel Rights, Consultant fees and Remake writes.

SOME WAYS John Kremer has composed in his book 1001 Ways to Market Your Books:

Use movie scouts who work for producers, sell direct to studio using the Hollywood Creative Directory, list your books with an online web site, list your books with an online we site, network (by going to film related events).

CAN IT REALLY HAPPEN:

Yes, but just like everything else in this business, it takes time, networking with the right people.

3 comments:

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I think the right people is even more important in Hollywood (just based on the screenwriters that I know). :)

Kelly Hashway said...

This is so over my head. I wish I understood all this more because I love learning all the ins and outs of publishing. But selling rights is still so confusing to me. I'm glad my agent understands it. :) I give independent authors who can sell these rights themselves a lot of credit.

Writer's Block said...

The only difference in selling through an agent or on your own is how much money you get and sometimes how many rights you have to give in order to make the deal.

Generally the agent is tough and knows the ropes so they are less likely to have the wool pulled over their eyes.

Self published authors tend to know less and thus gain less from the deals they make.