Monday, April 16, 2012

DID YOU OVER Book? Commit? Plan this Year?



OH BOY did I ever!!! Lol!

But I'm just that way. Always adding more and more and more to my plate. Now I'm saying - STOP :-D

MY ORIGINAL 2012 PLAN

So what were your original goals for the new 2012 year? Well I set out to write 3 books. Only 3. It wasn't much, it's my typical output each year for the last 3 years - BUT....

LIFE HAPPENED

My kid is graduating from both High School and EMT certification programs. He's going to 2 proms. My youngest son is asserting his 8yr old authority in class. My day gig (mildly cover to my super hero tendencies) just promoted me, which means I get more and more work (which to be honest I love since I do enjoy my day gig a lot). My oldest daughter is running her first 5k, is starting to take track seriously, and is taking 2 college courses in the summer! My youngest daughter has decided she wanted mommy to help her write her book - and she's #1 right?

Oh, then I decided to volunteer. I became a board member of the Mid Atlantic Book Publishers Association (didn't plan that at all - but am loving it!) Oh and I volunteered to recruit Literary Agents and Editors for the Maryland Writer's Association - great fun. Oh and I'm helping out on YALITCHAT as a Moderator - love that too since I get to connect with other YA and MG writers.

Two book releases in 1 year...Oh my goodness - insane!

ADDING MORE ... EVEN When You Know You SHOULDN'T

I did it again. I added more, and more, and more. Now I have started writing a Short Story - Flutter of Luv - and started it as an exercise for my Writing Group (oh did I forget to mention I'm in a Writing Critique Group?). Well that 1 short story has turned into 12 short stories (7 of which I'm completely finished with).

So I added that as a book release for this year - another thing to promote. Oh, and my publisher partner, he told me we are giving The Pack (Book 1) a facelift to prepare for a big promo for The Pack-Retribution (Book 2) eek!

Oh, and I volunteered to be the Twitter Chat host for MBPA, and the Events & Festivals planner, and to help out with the Speaker selection with MWA - - shoot me now!

JUST DEAL WITH IT - and start to say NO.

Well now that I started all of these balls rolling, I'm having to exercise the power of 'NO'.

I'm hoping to finish my 3 books this year, but I'm already a bit behind. Maybe I did it to take my mind off of querying of my new paranormal series? - Yeah, that's why I was so determined to keep myself busy.

I've got to finish all of my goals this year. I'm just picky that way. But next year - I'll be more realistic and slower in my taking on of projects (I hope, I really am going to try this time)

SO HOW ARE YOU DOING ON YOUR GOALS? Did Life burst in and throw you for a loop? Did you over book?

9 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Wow, LM. I don't know how you do it! I think you really do have a superhero cape. ;)

Catherine Stine said...

Your kids sound like they're doing great things, and supporting them creatively is a great thing. That said, a mother does have to set personal goals. It's always a juggling act. I've gotten more firm in setting boundaries. And yeah, I hoped to start my sequel to FO like, last month! Ha! I also cleared off my old oil paint table--suddenly I was in a mood to start painting again--a thing I have not allowed myself to do since I was published. I'm going to limit myself to finishing up one large painting of Nicolae Tesla, and painting one new one.... oh, and I'm off to a hotel tomorrow to start the sequel. Alone!

cleemckenzie said...

Here's to one exciting ride, LIM. I'm just learning the word NO. A little late, I fear to save me from March madness and April angst, but maybe in time to settle down for May mellow!

Tabitha said...

You and I are peas in a pod, because I always manage to overbook myself. :) I'm not fond of sitting around doing nothing, but I tend to think I can do more than I actually can.

Actually, I would probably be fine if nothing ever went wrong, but something *always* goes wrong. And then I'm scrambling to finish it all. Maybe one of these days I will find that balance. *snicker*

Unknown said...

I arrived here from Book blogs and I love your blog. I love folks that are real! Anyway have put the Pack on my tbr list and may I invite you to follow my blog as well at:
http://bethartfromtheheart.blogspot.com/
Any and all followers are most welcome! Thanks so much in advance and don't forget your "me time"...it's as important as the run, run, run time. :)

Charmaine Clancy said...

Can absolutely relate. I've taken time off from teaching this year so I can get my books ready for publication and so, naturally, I volunteer to teach one day a week at my daughters school. Love that because I get to connect with the kids, but with all the writing workshops, editing, my crazy new fitness routine, kids etc etc etc, I can't fit in one more thing (but of course I will).
Wagging Tales

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Yep, overbooking sounds very familiar. My brain usually handles it for me, by not sleeping, and then stealing those hours to catch up.

LM Preston said...

I know I haven't figured out when to say 'No' to stop myself. But I think for this year I'm going to do better.

KHAIRU DHANANI said...

Wow !! awesome. Well nuthing much to say, just wish u gud luck with ur goals....:)N don't work too hard .