Monday, August 12, 2013

Writer Burnout!

Oh yeah, this is me. About a few months ago I just got tired. Not of writing, but of the business side of the game. The marketing, selling, touring, signing, social media, pimping and fitting writing in there somewhere.

So.....

I'd hit BURNOUT

Straight out fatigue and loss of desire to even get on the internet. It was in perfect time for my long vacation where internet access would be limited.

BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO COME BACK

Even after I'd taken virtually a month off. I still wasn't quite ready to come back to it all. So I decided to rework in my head a new plan. Something that was doable.

My problem is, I'm OBSESSIVE. Most writers are - it's why they actually finish what they sit down to write.

THE SLIM DOWN Formula

Now, I only allow myself 30 minutes a day online. I have to pick a place. Either Twitter of Facebook. Also, I'm taking a small hiatus from touring. It's a lot of work and I got to be honest, the crazy trip I took to BEA this year just about did me in.

LESS BOOK RELEASES

This year I did 4 book releases. Yeah, crazy. Not only does that cost a lot of money, but it cost A LOT of time.

Next year, I'll be happy to release just ONE book. I know, I know, for those of you that know me, you don't think I can do it. You think I will spit out 2 to 3 ... well I might. But only if my writing picks up. Currently I have one book written that needs some serious editing. Another book I'm only 20K words into that I need to come up with at least another 60K to finish. Lastly, a short story that's taunting me I'd hoped to release next summer.

LESS MARKETING

I have to admit, I've been a marketing hound these last few year. And you know what, some things worked, some didn't. I recently took some stock into what was working and decided to stick with just those few things.

Oh, and I'm not doing those things as often. I just am planning on taking the rest of this year easy.

So...HAVE YOU FOUND A WAY TO HANDLE BURNOUT?



No comments: