Monday, November 10, 2014

Authors Bailing Out?







THE INDIE MOVEMENT PRODUCED many people that wanted to be authors

The disillusionment with being an author is that - - - you can become rich doing it. That's always been the fantasy. Many would be writers thought that this was always the end game. The payoff. Their expectations.

THEN REALITY

For awhile, Amazon was making the Indie authors king. If they had a decent book, lots of promo, Amazon fed their gravy train. And made it rain with money. Many Indie Authors quit

Not only are Indie authors feeling the pinch, but some of my traditionally publish authors do also. They get lower advances, but hey, at least they are making some money up front.

ARE YOU IN IT FOR THE PASSION or THE PAYDAY?

This is where it truly is telling. Artist, authors, visionaries - didn't usually get paid tons of money just because they created something - even when they created something REALLY good.

But when I started writing, it was NEVER for the payday. It was because, I just can't help myself. I love it. It relaxes me, intrigues me, and make me want to write more.

THE LONG HAUL

Well authors that have paid their dues, and have the passion ... are still writing. They are. Do they care if they get the numbers? The payday? Can eat? Yes, that's why the large masses of authors ...still work a day gig.

SO ARE YOU?...in it for the PAYDAY? THE PASSION?

2 comments:

Rusty Biesele said...

Not getting paid for being an author, for doing it because of the "passion" puts writing on a par with the younger generation's passion for video games, where they work just enough to stay alive. A very lucky few can make millions playing video games. Mostly it sequesters potentially bright minds into a nonproductive role. Writing by large numbers of people is being set up to be considered in a similar way. If it hasn't already, a person saying that they are a writer will be valued in the same way as someone saying, "I play video games all day long." It's very tragic.

Jess@Fairday's Blog said...

I love writing, and am in it for the passion. That doesn't mean I would not love a payday! It can be hard juggling a full-time day job and writing, but I do my best at both. Writing isn't easy, so I can see why many people give up!