Monday, May 19, 2014

Disclosure In Books





I DID NOT KNOW THAT WAS IN THAT book!

So, how many times have you picked up a book, started reading and was shocked to find out that some SAUCY things were taking place in your Middle Grade or Young Adult book that you were not prepared for.

I HATE THAT!

There were so many books I purchased for my daughters and sons that we read outloud only for me to find out that the back cover did not warn me that there were 'adult themed' topics in my teen or tween books.

THINK BACK

Now thinking back to when I was a teenager, I realized that my dear mom didn't do much in the way of observing what I read. I was 13 yrs old reading Stephen King and every Harlequin Romance I could get my hand on. (tsk tsk)

FAST FORWARD

But my teen daughters are really picky about what should be in their reading and they don't like horror or the adult romances that their mom liked sneaking to read.

BE HONEST MR. PUBLISHER is WHAT I SAY

I appreciate when books disclose what's in them. Let me know if there is adult material (aka - a teen pregnancy in my daughter's YA book - yep that happened). Or a graphic gay relationship in another (yeah, I'd like to know about that in advance - because if it's not my thing, it's not my thing). Sorry, but I too, know we should note violence, but if it's a book about fighting to get out of something - that's pretty much implied. Those other types of shockers above, I rarely see noted in the back cover blurb.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

1 comment:

cleemckenzie said...

I'm with you, LM! I want to know what kind of things are in books I buy for the young readers in my family.