Friday, November 30, 2012

LIfe Of PI - Movie Review


I did it. Took my daughter to see this movie that captured her with the beautifully powerful animals portrayed in this tale.

But it wasn't what was advertised. It wasn't what I expected. And I was glad I came.


Okay, let's go over what I was expecting. An animal version of Avatar, a visual fantasy of colors and more. What I got was...

Blurb:  Fandango.com

After deciding to sell their zoo in India and move to Canada, Santosh and Gita Patel board a freighter with their sons and a few remaining animals. Tragedy strikes when a terrible storm sinks the ship, leaving the Patels' teenage son, Pi (Suraj Sharma), as the only human survivor. However, Pi is not alone; a fearsome Bengal tiger has also found refuge aboard the lifeboat. As days turn into weeks and weeks drag into months, Pi and the tiger must learn to trust each other if both are to survive.

My Review:

Yes, it got off to a slow but interestingly cute start. You learned about Pi's never ending quest to find hope, God's purpose for him, and did this with the open innocence of a boy that had feared nothing. I loved him immediately as he fit the role of a youngest son perfectly. But on the night of the storm that sets a pivotal point in this movie, you experience his pain, his fear, everything. The acting was wonderful, the story interesting (but truth was I didn't think it would be) and the tiger's role phenomenal. There were spots of true beauty and a bit of fantasy in the movie, although I have to be honest it wasn't to the magnitude I expected by the trailers and advertisement for this film. My daughter and I loved the ending, the conclusion and the questions it left us with. Although there was finality to the story, it left you thinking way after the film. And that by far is amazing. Now if you are expecting a face paced, action packed, visual wonder, this may not be your cup of tea. But if you like to get to know the characters of a movie on a deep level, and leave with asking yourself about your own personal journey. then this is for you. I gave it a 4 out of 5 claws because of the disjointed way it was advertised compared to what was delivered.

No comments: