Monday, September 9, 2013

Book To Movie Disaster Or For New Audience


Oh, C'mon you know you hate them...want to love them, but can't get enough of them.


BOOK cut into 120 pages or less for a MOVIE

Yep, you heard it here. Take your favorite all time 300+ page book, and imagine having to cut it down to 120 pages or less of mostely dialogue.

Well I had to do it for two of my books and I wanted to cry. (No, I didn't get a movie deal - 'I wish' but my publishing guru co-owner was pitching the scripts to my books and I needed to do the script for them.)

WHAT TO KEEP, WHAT TO CHANGE, WHAT WORKS FOR A MOVIE

Everyone that reads a book has a different story going on in their head. Sure the main points and plots of the story is the same but the characters change within our minds, the scenery heck even the 'sound' of the characters.

Producers and Screen Writers have to figure out what will work for a movie (not considering making the 'readers' happy - but making the 'moviegoers happy). People that watch movies aren't always the same pool of audience that reads a book.

So, things like minute details, inner thoughts, and over expensive themes hit the floor.

WHAT IS LEFT

The core point of the story, maybe even - a different story than the readers expect. And most times - A SHORTER story.

That's why many movie reviews of book turrned movie adaptions are mixed. Those that haven't read the book, may love the movie.

YOUR THOUGHTS? WHAT ARE SOME GOOD book to movie ADAPTIONS.

No comments: