Wednesday, March 17, 2010

SHUTTER ISLAND – Movie Review

I don’t know where to start. I really wanted to see this movie. It looked like it would be exciting, suspenseful - kinda like one of my favorite movies of this sort, The Sixth Sense (my absolute favorite). In a word – I was disappointed.
I checked the reviews and figured they were decent. (Truth is – I would have gone anyway.)

The movie got off to a pretty good start. Leonardo and his partner set off to investigate an mysterious escape from Alcatraz. They questioned the prisoners, hurt some too, and slowly we saw Leonardo sink into a dismal conspiracy. Unfortunately, it was downright boring. If I hadn’t have spend my $10 I would have left about halfway through the movie. Really, I would have, and I really like Leonardo.

The good part of this boring journey was the twist at the end (If you want to call it a twist – because my spoil sport husband figured out the ending about 1/4th through the movie). All that corny dullness led up to an ending that made seeing the movie worth it. Because the ending was so good, I give this movie 2 starts out of 5. Wait for the video (rent it).

4 comments:

Larissa said...

I agree with you. It looked very spooky and mind-bending, and it just wasn't. My husband I and both called the ending, except for the twisty-twist at the very, very end, which I did think was cool.

It just wasn't OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT JUST HAPPENED cool like The Sixth Sense was, and that's what I was expecting.

Kirsten Lesko said...

Bummer! I was so excited about this when the original release date was October, then they bumped it to Feb. I had a feeling it was because it wasn't good. The preview is SO CREEPY. Too bad.

Thanks for saving me the money!

Although I do have to say, the "twisty-twist" piques my interest a little.

Unknown said...

I'm reading the book right now. So far it's pretty good.

E. Arroyo said...

The book is great. I loved it. The movie was not so great.