Tuesday, June 22, 2010

FUN IN THE CITY

Living in the city, I always had stuff to do in the summer. I did not have a lot of money, but in the city, there was always something going on for free. I bet you could find something to do too, no matter how old you are.

FESTIVALS, CARNIVALS AND MORE

As a teenager I loved going to festivals. It was my way of saving money, meeting people, and learning about other cultures. Most every town has free festivals. They are a lot of fun and the food is fantastic. The Spanish festival in the city I live in has tons of booths of scrumptious authentic food that you can not get in restaurants. Diverse groups and cultures of the Hispanic community come out. Also, the best part is the parade.

Carnivals come to town and you do not have to be rich to enjoy a ride, game, or a flirt or two. Lots of times we would just pick several rides and games to play while eating the carnival food. Not to mention meet new people and watch the carnival lights.

Day trips to a local pool, museum or harborside entertainment. One of my absolute favorite things to do in the city was go to the museums. In Washington, DC where I grew up, almost all the museums are FREE. Yep, you heard me - FREE. So all it took was bus fare and we had a ton of stuff to do for the day. We also would go to the FREE DC Zoo and picnic with our McDonalds lunch in designated areas.

EARLY MOVIES, DAY TRIPS TO THE BEACH, BACKYARD SLUMBER PARTIES

One of my favorite cheap, fun, things to do as a teen was to have a backyard slumber party. We would set up tents, tell goofy girlie scary stories, cook marshmallows on the fire pit and wake up to go to the matinee movies with our boyfriends after a weekend campout. When we could, we would beg one of our parents to take us for a daytrip to the beach or nearby park with a lake we could swim in. We would fry chicken the night before, pack a picnic lunch and a deck of cards to play.

DON'T FORGET to join the BOOK LAUNCH PARTY for THE PACK - CLICK HERE

4 comments:

Buffy Andrews said...

We had a tent and every summer my dad would set it up in the backyard and we'd have sleep-outs. I had an awesome childhood. I grew up in a small town where everyone knew everyone else. I'm not sure that today I would feel comfortable allowing my kids to sleep out in a tent in the backyard. Times have changed so much. I miss the good old days sometimes:)

LM Preston said...

Nowadays, we stay out there all night with the kids. Let's just say... I don't sleep a wink all night.

Rebecca A. Rogers said...

Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for the kind words on my blog. :) <33

Maria Zannini said...

Ref: festivals

That's one thing I miss about not living in the city anymore. I loved the food and the art they sold in booths.

But the country isn't without its graces. It's just quieter. :)