Thursday, March 22, 2012

John Carter - Movie Review

I was so excited to go see this movie. I mean I was biting at the bit to see it ... uhum...




Fandango Blurb:
Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic tale of interplanetary adventure arrives on the big screen in this sweeping sci-fi spectacle marking the live-action debut of Oscar-winning director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo, WALL-E). Civil War veteran John Carter (Taylor Kitsch) was still haunted by the violence he witnessed on the battlefield when he inexplicably awoke on the distant planet of Barsoom (Mars). Upon learning that the inhabitants of Barsoom are bracing for a major conflict and that war appears inevitable, John finds out that love is a rare commodity on the Red Planet, and summons the courage to be the hero the Martians have been hoping for. Meanwhile, John falls under the spell of the enchanting Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins), who struggles to suppress her compassion in a society known for its warlike ways. Willem Dafoe, Samantha Morton, and Mark Strong co-star. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

My Review:

After dragging my husband with me to the midnight showing of this movie, I have to say - I should have waited. It started off much different than I expected with the revealing of a will, a fortune to a guy who had to read a journal. As the guy was reading the journal you were took back in time where you meet John. It was just okay, kinda slow up til that point. Then he gets transported to ... Mars. Where there was like a fantasy / scifi feel to the movie. I really started to like John, but the love affair with him and the princess was just hoohum. The special effects were okay. And at that point this movie was only going to get a 2.5 planets out of 5. But the kicker came with the ending. A great twist that perked me up and made the rest of the movie worth it. So I bumped it up to a 3 planets out of 5.

6 comments:

Keisha Martin Romance Writer said...

I am a sucker for movies like John Carter although never read the series I thought it was slow at first, but your right toward the ending was interesting, I didn't understand why the princess eyes was so blue and I don't recall anyone else like her father.

Catherine Stine said...

Okay, now I've got to see it for the ending!

Kelly Hashway said...

I don't like the previews for this one. I kind of thought they looked funny. I had when movies do that to books.

LM Preston said...

The books for this are a lot better than the movie.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Yeah, this is what I've heard. I was way excited to see it too, but have decided to wait for the DVD. :(

Dan O. said...

Despite occasional moments of silliness, the old-fashioned sense of adventure and brilliantly rendered aliens elevate this above other derivative big-budget sci-fi fare. I still wished that Kitsch did a lot better in this lead role but he was only there for eye-candy really. Good review LM. What also stinks is that this flick probably didn't make back any of its 250 million dollar budget, mainly because the studio did a terrible job with marketing this thing in the first place.