Sunday, March 4, 2012

Odd Places I've Bought Books



I've purchased books in many different places.

Of course there's the typical Book Store. But where have you purchased books that you never would have thought to buy them.

Here's my list:

- Street Vendors: Lots of big cities have street vendors that thrive and have regular customers. I purchased many of my books as a teen from street vendors because there weren't many bookstores around.

- Out of someone's car: Yes I did. On a trip to NY and visiting the city, I purchased music and books out our people cars and .... big cloth bags that they dragged around.

- In Hawaii at Waipo Valley: Just before we went on a hike.

- A bar: I purchased a book that was themed in the bar. I purchased it since it was a murder mystery.

- The Flea Market: I visited the flea market in Baltimore and wanted to read some Urban books and boy they had a lot. So, I purchased quite a few. Also, I recently took my cousin there while she visited and she purchased some from there too!

- On The Subway - Metro Center, in DC: I started talking to some lady on the train and just so happened she was an author. I asked her if she had any of her books and she did. I bought it right there on the train.

SO WHERE ARE SOME OF THE ODD PLACES YOU'VE PURCHASED BOOKS?

7 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

I'm feeling jealous because I haven't bought books in strange places. Hmm... nope, I can't think of one. Now, I'm determined to do this.

S.A. Larsenッ said...

I don't think I've bought a book in a strange place. Your places are fabulous, though, a story in themselves. :D

Anonymous said...

I can't think of any odd places I've bought books, but I have sold them in odd places:

from the trunk of my car
at the repast after my father's funeral
at a baby shower
at a kid's birthday party
at a family reunion
outside a convenience store

just to name of few...

LM Preston said...

Oh wow, selling them at odd places is even better!

Unknown said...

I have been known to buy books at truck stops.

Pre-kindle, if you finished all your books on a road trip, options were pretty limited.

Catherine Stine said...

When I visited Moscow, I went to the street vendors and obsessed over used books. Found some real gems including Alice in Wonderland in Cyrillic and an easy reader from commie times, about the happy young pioneers in red neckerchiefs and their perfect families!

Lizzy Mackerville said...

How cool! I can't think of any odd places that I have purchased my books. Just bookstores, libraries, tag sales, flea markets, thrift stores, pharmacies... I will keep my eyes on the lookout for some good places. :)