Sunday, December 5, 2010

There’s Something Bigger than getting Published




I know, I know, you think I’m crazy. But when I did my recent book event, I realized what I love more than writing…having a forum to talk to others.

Writing a book, opened more doors than I ever could have imagined. And guess what? I’m not a Best Selling Author yet, I’m considered a Midlister. Meaning – I do okay. I sell some books, not hundreds of thousands, not millions, but a decent amount coming from a new small press publisher. But that’s not what keeps me writing.

I write because it makes me extremely happy, and my kids love, love, love hearing about my stories. To them – I’m the best. I also love it when I do a signing, book event, or am just talking to someone about the book and their eyes shine – like I did something great. But to me, writing is easy. It’s like breathing, I love it, my own guilty pleasure. Truly I personally don’t see it as a special or great accomplishment, because whether I sold books or not, I’d still be writing them… just for my enjoyment.

SO WHAT’s BIGGER than getting PUBLISHED?


THE WRITING


Writing your work, loving the writing, meeting others while writing and learning things about yourself while writing.

BUILDING OF THICK SKIN


Getting stronger through the process. No one can tell me that letting beta readers read your stuff, rip it up to make it better, then having to pimp yourself out to tons of Lit Agents that reject you, then your Lit Agent pimps you out to a publishers who may reject you, to getting ‘not so nice’ book reviews doesn’t make a person stronger. It does, now I see that for me, I’m so much more laid back. Less intense about what people say or think, but better at taking the gold nuggets of positivity out and throwing away the negativity – why? Because I’ve come to far to stop, give up, or call in the towel.

THE HUGS

This is one of my most treasured parts of this entire journey of getting and being published. I have a bonafide reason to talk to young people – they’ve always been my passion which is one of the reasons I love writing about their struggles and their strength. I’ve met hundreds of young people in the last year of my book promotion. They’ve hugged me, encouraged me, thanked me, and just plain showed me love in their most innocent ways – that’s why young people are so special. That’s why – I keep on writing for them. I already know that quite a few – get me and what I write, and they keep encouraging me to write more.

YEP, there is definitely more than getting PUBLISHED, its growing from the experience of the journey.

18 comments:

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Just lovely! Thank you for sharing. :)

cleemckenzie said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It's an amazing combination of writing, reading, publishing, interacting, learning that makes all of this journey beautiful. Great post.

Unknown said...

Awesome post, LM!

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Great post. And patience. Writing has taught me patience. Some things are out of my control. So I wait. For the publisher to accept my manuscript, or not. I wait for the editor to edit it,if its been bought. I wait for gallies. I wait for ARCs and more waiting. :) But I love it.

Catherine Stine said...

Makes sense! I love the art and the rush of putting scenes together.

LM Preston said...

It gives me something to widdle at besides biting my nails all the time, or watching TV. Now I can say, "I'm creating" and boy oh boy has it taught me patience :-D

Kelly Hashway said...

Great post. I think we sometimes get caught up in the publishing part that we overlook the best part--writing.

Anonymous said...

Very encouraging post! Without the love of writing, there's no way we could face the constant rejection of agents/editors/publishers. It's the passion for writing that carries us through tough times until we reach that moment when we finally get those *hugs*.

Jewel Allen said...

Love this post! Thank you for sharing this perspective. I am not yet a published novelist, but I can well imagine how wonderful it would be for even just one person to come up to me and tell me that my story meant something good to them!

PK HREZO said...

So true. Couldn't agree more!

Lisa Gail Green said...

That's such a nice and uplifting post! Thank you for the smile.

Beth said...

LM the process is fun and every time you meet a new goal it does wonders for your self esteem, but I still think I'd really like to be published!

beth-project52.blogspot.com

Monique Cherie said...

This is a really great post, the reason we write is because it makes us happy, i could truely write for ever with out being published, but if i dont get published no one will ever know about my genious, great post xx

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Found you from Twitter, love the blog and this post! It's so good to be reminded of this again and again.

*new follower*

KarenG

Georgia McBride said...

What a wonderfully inspiring post. Thanks for the reminder.

Ebony McKenna. said...

Gorgeous post . . . but I have to confess I prefer being published to being unpublished!

Perhaps it's the validation? Not sure. But I'm loving every minute of it. Perhaps because it's come later for me that I'm enjoying the 'newly minted author' experience so much.

Michelle said...

Agreed. Connecting with readers and other writers is very rewarding.

Jen said...

So true!! Thank you for this post.