Friday, February 1, 2013

Bryna Butler author Spotlight!






Let's get to know author Bryna Butler!


Can you give us your favorite quote from one of your books and explain it?
One of my favorite quotes comes from my newest book, Shadows Rising. In this scene, Keira faces off against the leader of a group of extremists that believe her charge is keeping her from her destiny. I think this quote is a great mix of Keira’s courage and her youth.

“You keep yapping about my charge being a distraction, but here I am dealing with you again. Leave us and my charge alone or die tonight at my hand. I mean it, jerk wad.”

What types of things/people/music inspires you and makes you want to keep writing?
I’m very inspired by my favorite authors. I often name characters, places and things in my stories in homage to these authors and their work. For instance, in the Midnight Guardian series there is a goth girl named Mikayla Collins whom everyone calls Mikey. Mikey is clearly named in honor of Michael Glass and Shane Collins, two of my favorite characters from Rachel Caine’s Morganville series. Her goth look comes from another beloved character in that series. Also, I’m a huge Joss Whedon fan (who isn’t?). If you look hard enough, you will find several subtle references to Buffy and Firefly sprinkled throughout my books.

Describe your typical writing day or week.
Just call me the “Night Writer”, not because it sounds like an insanely cool superhero, but because it is true. For me, writing typically begins after the kids are tucked into bed somewhere around 9 p.m. I grab a soda from the fridge and settle in with my laptop. Typically, I first re-read and edit the last thing I wrote before I start writing anything new. That refreshes it in my mind and allows me to move forward.

Is there a food or drink do you have to have when you're writing?
I can’t eat while I write. Sounds good in theory, but it never works in practical application. BBQ sauce on the keys…melted cheese on the screen...a whole chapter about brownies.

Can you tell us what you're working on right now (& possibly provide an excerpt & cover)?
Shadows Rising was released on January 18th. In this 4th installment in the Midnight Guardian series, Keira and her friends race to rescue her charge before The Harvest and the rise of a new form of evil, the shadows.

3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

"Night Writer" I love that! I'm "Day Writer", which doesn't sound half as cool. ;)

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Nice to meet you, Bryna! I think there should be a guild of 'Night Writers'. I'm so there with you!

Alyssa Auch said...

"Night writer" here, too! I've got 2 toddlers and an infant to look after during the day! :) I love to see other moms finding time for their passion whenever they can. I fully support that!

Your books look interesting, Bryna! I may have to check them out.