Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Bennie's to Blogging



When I first considered blogging I did it because I read that it's a great way to build a platform. That every writer must have a blog. That blogging is fun.

Well, let me tell you, some of the advice was true, but some of it didn't even touch the surface of what blogging has become to me.

BLOGGING FOR FUN

Blogging is actually fun for me. I enjoy coming up with my post and post regularly with my passions. Reading books with my daughter who post her reviews on my blog. Also my love of movies is something I love to post about. It’s enjoyable for me to have an audience to chat about some of my hobbies. In addition, it’s given myself and my kids a place to put our interest. My son has posted his video game reviews and all of my kids have been a guest and posted their book reviews since I personally feel that if I give a review on a MG or YA novel that it should be from the audience it’s intended for.

BLOGGING FOR BUSINESS

Now that I’ve gotten into blogging I realize that it is a great and powerful tool for some businesses. If done correctly blogging can capture and hold customers when the content is ripe and plentiful. Not to mention as a writer I could actually get a paid gig blogging for businesses. Sort of like writing for a publication – it just happens that the publication is a blog instead of a newspaper. Also, blogs can co-exist as another form for a company to share it’s ‘marketing copy’ it’s way of getting the masses excited about something it offers.

BLOGGING FOR BUILDING A PLATFORM AS A WRITER

In this I think ‘meh’ maybe it works, but maybe not. I mean I have to admit I’m not quite a numbers hog and use my blog specifically to get over a million would be purchasers for my book. Maybe I should but I don’t. I enjoy blogging way to much. But I don’t quite know if I can honestly say I personally know an author that built a platform, got an agent, sold tons of books just because they blogged.

Now what blogging does do for an author is keep them writing, give them content to tweet about, content to re-cycle into articles, guest blog spots, facebook share, sale to other areas, showcase work, and meet other authors, bloggers, people who just dig them and what they write about.

WHY DO YOU BLOG? AND IF YOU DON’T WANT TO WHAT WILL YOU LOSE?

I’ve followed lots of blogs that after awhile just die off. Or that are so sporatic I clean them out of my cue. However, when it’s not fun anymore, don’t do it. Life’s too short to do the things you hate – unless you have to put food on your table.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my golly! What you said about blogs keeping authors writing is so true for me. I have to say it has made my writing get better and made me more confident to let my words out into the world.

Thanks for this post!

Matthew Leanna said...

I like how you said that blogging is a great exercise for authors. But more than just established writers, blogging is a good avenue for those who generally have the passion to write! It also forces people to step out of their comfort zones as writers, and be more open and accepting of critiques and improvements.