Sunday, November 28, 2010

HARRY POTTER DEATHLY HALLOWS and TANGLED Movie Review

MOVIE REVIEW OF HARRY POTTER DEATHLY HALLOWS Part 1


I will try to give an honest review, but with the pre-cursor that I'm biased. I just love the Harry Potter books. This movie is a continuation of the tale, and yes, you'll want to see the other movies or at least read the book in order to truly 'get' the reason these kids are on the run, who died that is impacting their search and besides, you'll just want to see all the other movies (even though the last one was kinda dull). This movie has lots of suspenseful moments and is closely aligned with the book. Unfortunately the only thing I didn't like was that they stayed in that stupid forest for what seemed like forever. I had hoped that the movie would have cut out some of that wondering in the woods part that I had skimmed while reading the book. Anyways, even with their time in the woods, I still enjoyed the imagery, darkness and total mood of the movie. This is worth your money if you want to go to the movies, but if you decide to stay and wait for the video, it will play just as nicely at home. I give this movie a 4 out of 5 stars because they kept the part where Harry and the others stayed in the woods forever, just kinda wondering.


MOVIE REVIEW OF TANGLED



This movie was so cute. However, I guess Disney is on a GIRL POWER kick, because it seems like most of the leading men lately are just bums - no Prince Charming here. Well I have to admit I enjoyed the movie. There was a twist to this Rapunzel story, I won't give it all away but the witch wasn't very witchy except the way she acted and the reason for Rapunzel's name was taken out in place of a magical flower the witch wanted. That twist wasn't so bad and my girls fell in love with Rapunzel, only problem they said was the 'prince' seemed stupid, and was a criminal - Ye-ah, you heard me, he was a thief (of course we hope he reformed, at least it appeared that her love and her handy frying pan that she used to whack him with reformed him). Again, I say, my only beef with this movie was that the man that Rapunzel ended up with was a bum, just like the poor Princess in Princess and the Frog. Disney? What's up? Why can't a girl be smart, strong and still get a rich, dashing Prince? I give it a 3.5 stars out of 5. It was entertaining, great main character, but a bum of a Prince.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen HPDH twice now and came away more impressed with each viewing. It makes me wish they had made two movies out of each of the last 3 or so books.

The forest scene does drag, but the book has a looonnnggg section that is extremely similar in pacing and feel. I think it was meant to make us feel Harry's isolation/desperation, but I'm not sure.

I'll check out Tangled! It looks pretty funny.

Hope you had a great Turkey Day, LM, and thanks for the reviews.

LM Preston said...

Hey E.J! I had an awesome Thanksgiving - except for my drive back of 15hrs. We caught these movies while on vacation. I get that about the forest scene, but I believe she really could have just taken it out. Still loved it anyways :-D Tangled was cute and I was shocked it held my 7 yr olds attention.

Kelly Hashway said...

I own all the Harry Potter movies, but I can't decide if I'm going to see this one in the theater or wait until it's out on DVD. After reading your review, I think I'd be good either way. And having read the book, I can see what you're saying about the part in the forest.

Melanie said...

Good reviews, LM.

I must be in the minority here when I say that I loved all the forest scenes and wasn't bored for a second. I feel that so much feeling and emotion was conveyed by those scenes and hey, lets face it, those forests (and other areas they camped) were BEAUTIFUL. I couldn't find myself bored because the scenery and cinematography were just breath taking. But, that being said, I've noticed that most people feel as you did. In the book it did feel endless, but having it come to life in the movies was great. My dh, who has not read the books, felt the same was as most people. He said those parts got a bit boring, but I'm not surprised. He likes the action scenes ;-)

download movies for free said...

Tangled could have been a disaster. Directors Nathan Greno and Byron Howard really pushed for something different by attempting to modernize a classic tale for contemporary audiences while combining the classic storylines and imagery of Disney’s illustrious past. All of that experimentation can unbalance a film by leaning too heavily on one side or the other, but Tangled does a remarkable job at harmonizing the past and present. Gorgeous CG, an involving and up-tempo score, and some of the best sidekicks seen on screen propel this take on the character of Rapunzel. There is a sense of contemporary fun throughout the film, and yet the heart remains where it should; right in the middle.