Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving, What does it mean to You?

We all know the history about the Pilgrims who held the first fateful Thanksgiving celebration to give thanks for their harvest, survival and new life. A nearby Indian tribe was invited to celebrate with the settlers and that Thanksgiving day lasted three days.

However, Thanksgiving today has lost some of that meaning. Usually around this time of year the stores gloss over the Thanksgiving holiday and focus on Christmas. One of their biggest shopping seasons of the year, which out shadows the true beauty of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, a pre-cursor to Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanza is drowned out by the onslaught of Black Friday – the most fevered shopping day of the year.

For me Thanksgiving has been especially special. I have so much to be thankful for. Never in a million years as a girl who had teenaged parents, who lived in the littered streets of the city would I have dreamed this life up. After fighting through so many obstacles I would have never imagined being a wife, a mother, an engineer and an author. Through all of those difficult struggles I have become so strong, so assured and so determined that I wouldn’t have changed a thing about my life. It made me who I am, and I am still a little in awe of it all. My life is proof that good things can happen in spite of a difficult childhood and trials.

I hope you look at Thanksgiving as a time to be thankful to be alive, a time to renew a desire to reach for the stars, and a time when your realize that you can do or be anything thing.

4 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Thanksgiving is a difficult time of year for my family because it comes right before the anniversary of a death in the family. But you're right, LM. We need to take the time to be thankful for what we do have, and not dwell on what we've lost (or don't have). I have a lot to be thankful for right now, and I'll try to focus on that.

Catherine Stine said...

Wow! An engineer, how cool!
I'm thankful for family, of course.
I'm also thankful that my higher power gave me an active imagination, to think up stories and creative solutions to problems.

Maria Zannini said...

I'd like to think I'm grateful every day of the year. Thanksgiving to me is a time for family, to regroup, recoup, and give thanks together.

I don't see my family very often, and many of them have died in recent years. That makes me treasure those who are left even more.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

I'm late with this, but I'm thankful for my family, my friends, and my God who watches over me.