Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ALLY PELTIER, EDITOR - SPOTLIGHT PARTY GUEST


Ally E. Peltier is an editor, writer, and publishing consultant for individuals and businesses such as Simon & Schuster, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Kaplan Publishing, Rodale Inc., and more. Ally formerly acquired and edited books for Touchstone Fireside/Simon & Schuster and has published articles in a variety of venues, including The Writer, Writer's Digest 2009 Guide to Literary Agents, and ConsumerSearch.com. A Master of Arts in English and Creative Writing, Ally also ghostauthors nonfiction books and teaches workshops for writers.

How are you diggin the party?

I think this virtual book party idea is clever and perfectly suited to the way books are marketed these days. Very cool! I’m definitely diggin’ it.

Tell me about yourself?

I’m a book lover, no question! I’ve been reading since I was three years old and when my eyes give out I’ll just “read” audio books. I’m passionate about the written word and clear communication. I’m also passionate about helping people get published, whether via traditional routes or self-publishing or Indie publishing. I love going to conferences and speaking to writers, sharing my experiences and knowledge of the business to help them better achieve their goals. You’ve got to educate yourself about the industry and be an active participant in your success—like LM Preston!

Are you in the book business? What do you do?

I used to work for the Touchstone Fireside imprint of Simon & Schuster, where I learned what really goes on inside a publishing house and what it takes to turn a manuscript into a finished book. I had a wonderfully supportive boss and coworkers there who taught me so much. Since 2004 I’ve been a freelance editor, writer, and publishing consultant. I work with a variety of publishing professionals, writers, and also business owners to create or edit content—I do everything from book manuscripts to website copy and brochures.

Have you read any of LM Preston’s books? Say something smashingly great about LM Preston or her books.

I have a copy of THE PACK waiting in my “to-read” stack, and I’m looking forward to it. Lanita is such a great example of how to publish the right way—she takes her time to produce quality books (hiring professionals like editors and designers to help her) and formulate a marketing plan, which she then executes with creativity and enthusiasm. I hope other writers considering Indie publishing route take note. Her partnership in ownership of Phenomenal One Press shows her passion for her work.

What are you currently working on?

This summer I’m writing a couple of proposals for ghostwriting projects and also working with a publisher to create digital content for a series of health books. I’m really excited about that because we’ll be doing e-books and other types of content for e-readers and mobile devices, which are kind of the “new frontier” in book publishing. I’ve got a few article ideas to send around this summer as well.

Big things in your future?

I’m about to launch a new white paper on fiction book proposals to round out my current offerings (get free white papers at www.ambitiousenterprises.com/ae_free_content.php). I also hope to turn my attention to a few e-book projects I’ve been formulating so that I can launch those early next year. I’ve always got a new ambitious enterprise on the horizon :)

Find out more about Ally!
www.ambitiousenterprises.com
www.facebook.com/aepeltier
www.twitter.com/allypeltier

Get free white papers at www.ambitiousenterprises.com/ae_free_content.php

DON'T FORGET TO PICK UP YOUR PARTY FAVOR! EMAIL PUBLISHER CLICK HERE

7 comments:

Lydia Sharp said...

Great interview/spotlight! :)

Blodeuedd said...

Interesting interview, I'd sure like to have a job like that

cleemckenzie said...

I was particularly interested in reading that your guest is sending proposals for ghostwriting projects. That area of writing is so interesting.

Thanks for having Ally Peltier on and letting us find out about her varied writing interests.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Great interview. Thanks!

LM Preston said...

Ally is truly a superwoman. She's an active member of the MWA and has helped the organization grow by leaps and bounds. Not to mention she is a wonderful person to be around and a natural motivator. I'm glad you all enjoyed her.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Fiction book proposals? Interesting!

Thanks for the fascinating interview! :)

Malcolm "RAGE" Petteway said...

Great interview